Online shopping and home delivery have risen sharply in popularity over the last few years, with more and more consumers choosing to buy online for convenience, to find the best price, and for the wide variety of options available. With the rise of online shopping, another strategy has emerged that can benefit smaller businesses – “BOPIS”.
What is BOPIS?
BOPIS is an acronym of ‘buy online, pick up in-store’. Retailers and consumers are embracing BOPIS to save time, avoid costly shipping fees and simplify the shopping process.
How does BOPIS work?
- Customer completes order online
- Store prepares the order and notifies customer when it’s ready to be collected
- Customer picks up in-store
How BOPIS can boost your business
While larger retailers can afford to absorb the costs of delivery, returns and warehouse labour, smaller companies often need their customers to pay the extra shipping and handling fees. That’s why in-store pick up is a great option for smaller retailers – customers get all the convenience of online shopping, without having to shoulder the extra costs. But that’s not the only benefit.
Customer benefits of BOPIS:
- Save money: With in-store pick up, there’s no extra shipping costs, so the customer can save money on delivery and returns.
- Save time: Why wait for the delivery van when you can pick up in store? When there’s a birthday or a holiday season approaching, many customers choose BOPIS so they can be sure to get their gifts in time.
- Reserve items: If your customer has found something they like and want to be sure it’s still in stock when they come to the store, BOPIS can act like a reserve function.
Seller benefits of BOPIS:
- Extra sales: When customers come to pick up their order, they might spot something else they like in store and make additional purchases.
- Save money and time: As a retailer, you don’t need to worry about the extra cost and logistics of packaging, shipping and returns.
- Unified inventory: It’s easy to manage your online and in-store inventory when they’re all coming through the same unified POS system.
How to set up BOPIS in your store
Are you interested in the benefits of in-store pick up? There’s never been a better time to start selling online, and it’s surprisingly easy to get set up.
What you need to start selling online and offering BOPIS to your customers.
- An online store
If you already have an online store, then you’re well on your way. But if not – don’t worry. It’s quick and simple to build and publish an e-commerce store. With multiple companies offering simple drag-and-drop tools, you don’t need any special training or lots of spare time to create a successful online shop.
- A bricks-and-mortar store or collection point
If you’re going to offer BOPIS, you’ll need somewhere to pick up from. Ideally, this is inside your physical shop. It’s normal to offer pick up from the cashier, but if you have a large or very busy shop, you may want to set up a special area where online customers can queue separately to pick up their orders.
- Real-time inventory
Before you set up your online store, make sure your e-commerce platform and your POS system can be integrated. With integration, your online and in-store inventory will sync automatically, in real-time, so your customers always know what’s in stock and you’re never caught short. Automation also means you don’t have to spend time updating your sales and syncing your bookkeeping system – it’s all done for you.
Getting started with Zettle
If you’re interested in setting up an online store and offering BOPIS to your customers, Zettle’s simple point-of-sale system works seamlessly with a number of leading e-commerce integrations including BigCommerce, Prestashop, Selz, Shopify and Shopware. That means your in-store and online inventory are automatically synced, and you can track everything – including your sales and stock – all in one place.
> Read more about Zettle e-commerce integrations